Listed below is some information about school related programs being offered throughout the Northride East neighborhood, compiled by NENC’s Education Committee. If you have other educational resources that might benefit our local private or public schools, please share them with us! You can e-mail them to the Education Chair: Nestor Fantini (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call committee member Karen Green 818-831-0416.
Northridge Scholarship Competition
As part of the Northridge100 celebration of our community’s 100th birthday, a scholarship competition for students who go to school or live in Northridge has been launched. There are 2 types of entries: art entries ( K-12) and essay entries ( 4-12) with levels of monetary winnings. Entries are due by May 10. For more info: http://www.northridge100.org/news/northridge100-student-scholarship-competition/
- Public Speaking Course, offered to grades 5-12 through their Communication for Youth Institute program, $20 total for 6 Saturday morning classes, held in early spring.
- CSUN’s Management Information Systems Association, along with faculty volunteers, will provide a “Let’s Do I.T.” hands-on information technology workshop for students. They did a FREE workshop with Darby Elementary 4th and 5th grade students.
YMCA (North Valley)
- The YMCA provided a FREE “Healthy Habits Week” to Darby Elementary with YMCA staff members for 1.25 hours after school for each of the 5 days, and offered the students nutritious snacks and fitness activities.
- The YMCA offers a “Healthy Family Night” to schools on a scheduled Saturday with activities designed for the entire family. The facility is open for your school only on that scheduled Saturday night. Organized through the school, PTA, booster or parent organization, the cost is either $10 per family that shows up or a cost of $250 from the organization and the families come for free. For more info. contact Thaddeus Molnar, Senior Director, Psychomotor Program, 818-368-3231 x2302.
Public School Assistance
- L.A. Shares is a “web-based philanthropy that takes donations of new and (gently) used goods from the local business community and individuals and redistributes them free-of-charge to Los Angeles County based schools and non-profit organizations.” For more information, see their website: http://www.lashares.org/recipient_benefits.php
- Donor’s Choose is an on-line charity that connects teacher requests with donors who want to support classroom learning. For more information, see their website: http://www.donorschoose.org/teacher/index.html